Skip to main content

The Build



It all started when I mentioned that it might be nice to have a separate place where I could go and watch TV or read or play on the Wii…I said that I’d also like a second bathroom and I’d like a utility room.

I wanted to convert the animal barn on the side of our house (accessed through the kitchen) into a ‘snug’.  After a few months of persuasion Peter was in.   We looked for a builder (traumatic enough, read the blog post) we found the one we wanted and work was scheduled for January 2014.   

In December 2013 I started to take down the old bread oven in the corner of the room.   A mass of stones, red clay, and 50 year old soot.   I’d come out looking like I’d been down a mine.   Our 90 year old neighbour sat on her step and laughed at me.  She was still grinning when finally the oven was dismantled and I carried hundreds of stone down the 14 steps to the stairwell for storage.   It wouldn’t be the last time I moved those stones!!!
 
January came, Mark and Rupert our builders came, so did the rain.   In fact, it didn’t stop raining.
They did what they could.  Took down and rebuilt a wall.  Removed the rotten and bug infested beams in the place.  Started work on the new bathroom.  I started to clean the natural stone wall. The floor was levelled with the large stones removed and a concrete base put in.  Peter carried hundreds of buckets of concrete up 14 steps in the rain.   But soon they all had to stop, the roof needed to come off and it just would not stop raining.



February came and went in a mixture of rain, hail and thunder.  I kept cleaning the natural stone wall.   A wire brush and a heap of patience (which quickly turned into impatience),  I soon realised why restoration work is so time consuming.  ‘Render the whole lot’ became my mantra.   




March arrived and so did the builders.  Off came the roof.  On went a new roof.  Suddenly we had a dry room.   I was still cleaning the natural stone wall as my first attempt was ‘not good enough’ according to some.



 Work continued on the new bathroom, and work started on the megalith chimney Peter designed.  It was then that I was asked to bring all the stones from the bread oven stored in the stairwell back up the 14 steps and into the snug.   Following a few very choice four letter words I started to grade the stones and bring these up.   




Work continued on the chimney, it was getting bigger and bigger.  An intricate air flow system was installed, including a hole in the wall to draw in air, a hole in the top to let out air and a fan into the bedroom to pump warm air upstairs.  The chimney got bigger.

May came and the builders went off site to start another project.   We had some work that needed to be done, like cleaning the natural stone wall.  Leveling and concreted the public path behind our house and waterproofing one of the snug walls (which is below ground level).  

We had the doors and windows fitted. 




In late May the builders returned, the chimney got bigger, the new bathroom got tiled. The rendering started.  It was starting to become a real room, four walls, windows, doors and floor. Peter carried buckets of concrete up the stairs, I cleaned up after people, washing and washing the floor in the connecting kitchen (dirty work this building work).  ‘It looks like a building site’ was the mantra for a while.   



In June, disaster struck.  Our builders had to go off and finish another job.  They’d be back in July to finish up the work.  I had planned to get them to redesign our upstairs bathroom too.    But one of the builders almost cut his fingers off in a wood saw and while he was healing there was no way he’d be able to finish the rendering (he since made a full recovery).


July came, impatience set in.  ‘Find another builder, I just want it finished’ became my mantra.  ‘I’m fed up with this’ became Peter’s.

In August, Duncan came to finish the job.   Duncan finished the rendering, pointed the natural stone wall (which meant I had to clean the whole bloody thing again) and tiled the stairs and the utility room floor.


Work started on the ceiling.   If only it was that easy.   The ceiling beams were not level, we’d decided to keep some of the old wood and the whole thing just couldn’t be plaster boarded unless we wanted a ‘wave effect’ on the ceiling.




Peter put his thinking cap on and came up with a plan….’we’ll fit the plaster board between the beams’ he said.   After three weeks I bet he wished he’d come up with another idea.   Every day he was in there cutting board to the strange shape of the room.  Not a straight wall in sight.   Now I certainly understand why they knock down old walls and rebuild and don’t restore walls.


I cleaned the lime cement mix from the natural stone wall.

I got covered in plaster as I sanded the plaster board.   I broke the sander.

Duncan had done all he could do.  It was now up to us.  Paint, varnish, paint, varnish.  Peter continued with the ceiling.  Filling the gaps in between the plasterboard and the wood, he varnished the wood.  I painted the bathroom, not well.

I painted the walls a little better.  Peter delicately painted around the stones.   

In September I went away for 2 weeks and the floor elves (Peter and Simon) put in the wooden floor.

We are almost there, bear with me.

Just the snagging to do, Peter worked his socks off.  Varnishing, filling, touching up and then spent what seemed like hours trying to get the fibre optic cable working.

Finally we moved in.   We love it.  The fire heats up the room in about 10 mins, the dog sits on his bean bag in the corner and finally we can sit at a table to eat our dinner.




My Wall


It does leave the other room a little under used.  But Peter has a plan, he wants a nice kitchen-diner.  

I am open to persuasion!

Comments

  1. Oh wow! The house is really shaping up nicely. I love the quaint appeal of the low ceiling and the fireplace. I'm sure the space will look absolutely amazing once everything is finished. Thank you so much for sharing the update! Wishing you all the best with the rest of the work!

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building our Barrel Vault Wood Fired Oven

This is a short description of my barrel vault build that I have done here in Central Portugal. The final internal size is a 1m squared floor with a arch height of 50cm. I hope you enjoy and get some ideas from it. I wish to thank ukwoodfiredovenforum  for their advice and support. • 1: First I dug out a hole in the flower bed, on top of the stone wall, where the oven was to be built • 2: Set up a form to pour in the concrete base • 3: Pour the concrete base, which was about 5-6 inches deep • 4: On top of the base I cast 4-5 inches of LECA (light weight expanded clay balls) mixed with cement to hold it's form • 5: Then I cast a 2-3 inch heat retaining base, to add to the thermal mass, using calcium aluminate cement with large grain sand, as a flat base for the hearth bricks to sit on • 6-8: I then dry laid the hearth bricks on a dry bed of fine sand and clay mixture, with th

Read the signs

In 2009/10 there was a brief outcry in the UK about the amount of unnecessary road signs on British roads.   The consumer group called Civic Choice submitted information that there were tens of thousands of excess road signs and that too many signs were confusing and distracting.    The AA results of a survey can be found here and the Campaign for Plain English also supported some of the findings. I think this problem has ‘gone global’, well at least ‘gone European’ OK maybe just ‘gone Portuguese’.   There is certainly a road sign disease spreading on the IC8, one of the major highways in Central Portugal.   This disease seems to have reached its peak in the area between the turn off for the IC3 and Castanheira de Pera.   The disease is spreading, the spores of signs scattering along the roadside and new signs growing all the time.   In this short distance, it takes just 10 mins to drive, it has been reported to me that there are a whopping 400 plus signs.   I tried

oh what a lovely bougainvillea

It was something I wanted to grow, a plant which would cover the wall, give shade, give colour and really stamp the fact we lived abroad.   Bougainvillea. We have the other Mediterranean type of plants growing; we have olives in abundance, we have the grapes thriving, we have the figs establishing, but alas no bougainvillea.    I looked up how to grow it and it says:   Bougainvillea thrives in full sun.   “At least 5 hours a day of direct sunlight is the minimal light required for good bloom. More hours of direct sun are better. Less than 5 hours and the plant may not bloom very well.”   5 hours of sun ‘check’, good light ‘check’, south facing ‘check’….but alas the Med we are not!   This little peak of Central Portugal has cold air in winter (snow even), a vigorous breeze at dusk and is prone to a late frost.   Our courtyard is just too exposed to the elements, there is no little ‘nook’ for a bougainvillea, there is no wall for it to climb up.   So, after a courageous start in